Every year during the holiday season, one of the dishes I look most forward to enjoying is my Grandaddy’s famous macaroni and cheese. From Thanksgiving lunches to sneaking leftovers as a late-night snack with cousins, this mac and cheese holds so many fun memories for me. Plus, I have yet to find a mac and cheese that matches it in flavor and creaminess.
RELATED POST: One-Pot Keto Friendly Mexican Casserole Recipe
This year, our family decided not to travel to Georgia to see extended family for Thanksgiving. Instead of missing out on Grandaddy’s famous macaroni and cheese, though, I decided to take the opportunity to learn the mac and cheese recipe from him. Now my Grandaddy, my Aunt, and myself all have the recipe, officially making it a family legacy of sorts.
But rather than keep this amazing mac and cheese recipe all to myself, I thought it would be fun to share it with all of you! I hope it will be a dish you and your families will enjoy for generations to come just as my family and I have.
Mac and Cheese Recipe Ingredients:
These quantities will serve 10 – 12.
- Thin Spaghetti pasta, 1.5lbs (24oz)
- Original Velveeta Cheese, 32oz box
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, 16oz bags
- Whole Milk
- Corn starch
- Soy sauce (the secret ingredient!)
Mac and Cheese Recipe Instructions:
From start to finish, this dish should take about an hour and a half to cook (30 – 40 minutes of prep time, 30 – 50 minutes of baking).
- Boil pasta
- Drain off pasta and place pasta in serving container to cool
- Add a couple of pinches of corn starch to a third a cup of water and stir until mixed
- Bring corn starch and water to a boil, stirring constantly
- Remove from heat and continue to stir for 60 seconds
- Add 3-5 drops of soy sauce into water and cornstarch
- Add a generous amount of pepper to the mixture and stir
- Cut Velveeta cheese into 1inch cubes and add to the pasta
- Add the corn starch, soy sauce, pepper mixture to the pasta
- Pour 8oz of sharp cheddar cheese into pasta
- Pour whole milk over pasta until the container is filled to the halfway mark with milk
- Use your hands or tongs to mix all ingredients together, making sure Velveeta and shredded cheese are evenly distributed throughout the dish
- Add more pepper if desired and sprinkle an additional pinch of corn starch over top; hand mix thoroughly
- Bake in oven for 30 – 40 minutes at 350° – 400°
- Prior to serving, sprinkle the remainder of the shredded cheese on top of the dish and let cook for 15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown
A Recipe for Memories
In the words of my Grandaddy, “The secret to being a good cook is to find what you like, and then put more of it.” So, with this recipe, I encourage you to have fun with adding more of what you like and getting your hands dirty in the process. It’s a great and enjoyable dish to make and an even more enjoyable one to eat!
At the end of the day, I hope that this mac and cheese fills your home with as many wonderful memories as it has mine over the years.
See below to watch a tutorial for how to make Grandaddy’s Famous Mac and Cheese: