About a year ago, I was invited to a last-minute potluck dinner with some of my closest friends. It was the day or so before the get-together, and the hostess asked that I bring a chicken dish.
When it comes to cooking, I like to take the quick and efficient yet still delicious road. That’s how, with the principle of ease in mind and high hopes for plenty of flavor, I came up with this easy three ingredient chicken alfredo recipe.
I really wasn’t sure how it’d turn out, but I’m happy to report it’s a winner!
A Crowd Pleaser
It took just three ingredients, about 15 minutes of prep time, and a crockpot to make this dish happen.
RELATED POST: Grandaddy’s Famous Mac & Cheese Recipe
I was so surprised at everyone’s reactions. I had people complimenting me on the three ingredient chicken alfredo and asking for the recipe. When I told one mom of the group how easy it was to make, she said she’d be cooking it for her family.
Cook this meal with me! Watch the recipe video now!
Three Simple Ingredients:
These quantities for our chicken alfredo recipe should serve a family of 4 or will serve one couple with leftovers easily.
- 8oz (half a box) of Pasta
- Standard size pack (typically between 2-3lbs) of boneless Chicken Breast or tenderloins
- 1 Jar (typically between 14.5 – 16oz) Alfredo sauce
8oz (half a box) of Pasta – I prefer spaghetti myself, but the type of pasta is up to you. I also am a fan of whole grain pasta with this dish. I made it with regular pasta the first time, and overtime sitting in the crockpot, the pasta got a little soft for my preference. Whole grain pasta naturally maintains its firmness better than regular pasta, plus it’s good for you!
Standard size pack (typically between 2-3lbs) of boneless Chicken Breast or tenderloins – You can get fresh or frozen chicken breast. I’ve made the meal both ways and can’t really tell a difference, though the fresh takes less time to cook.
1 Jar (typically between 14.5 – 16oz) Alfredo sauce – The brand is totally up to you. I’ve used the Newman’s brand and Prego brand alfredo sauces, and the meal came out great both times. There’s also usually a couple of flavor options with alfredo sauce…who knew, right? You can choose more of a standard homestyle or a garlic alfredo. The Bertolli brand even has a garlic alfredo sauce made with parmesan cheese and another one made with basil. Have fun trying out different sauces that fit your taste.
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, or other seasonings
- Rinse chicken breast and add to the crockpot on high for a couple of hours
- Drain off any excess liquid from the chicken
- Break up or shred the chicken – this step depends on how you like it. Some prefer shredded chicken while others prefer more chunk chicken in their alfredo. Either way, though, you’ll want to break up the chicken some so it can soak in the sauce and become more tender and flavorful as it simmers in the crockpot.
- Add alfredo sauce and turn the crockpot down to low heat. Let simmer for 2-4 hours.
- Boil pasta – before you complete this step, make sure the chicken is well cooked. If you used fresh chicken, it should be. If you used frozen, it may need an extra bit of time depending on how quickly your crockpot works.
- Add pasta to crockpot and stir
- Turn the crockpot down to warm and let simmer until you are ready to serve
Keep in mind that this recipe does not have to be made in the crockpot. But, I’m a crockpot fan for this meal because it allows all the flavors to meld together as they slowly cook.
If you’re looking to make this chicken alfredo recipe a complete meal, toss a nice garden salad on the side for a compliment and bake up some garlic bread.
Overall, this three ingredient chicken alfredo recipe is a great way to save time and money in the kitchen while still coming out with a great meal that will satisfy pretty much anyone. I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as my family, friends, and I have!